IRG-Rail 2018 report consists of two parts: main report which presents general results on the European level and a working document in which one can find detailed data and information on the market in individual countries. IRG-Rail has also provided data which has formed the base for the report's preparation, among those a list of carriers in these countries together with the characteristics of their activity.
The 2018 report contains data and information on:
- general characteristics of the railway transport markets,
- charges for minimal access to railway infrastructure,
- characteristics of the passenger and freight rail transport,
- analysis of the competition in passenger and freight transport markets,
- barriers preventing entry into the passenger transport market,
- analysis of the competition with regard to selected primary railway lines,
- most important regulation decisions.
- Reports prepared by IRG-Rail have always been a valuable source of knowledge on European railways - judges Mr. Ignacy Góra, the President of the Office of Rail Transport (Pol. Urząd Transportu Kolejowego, UTK). - Our Office has again taken active part in the preparation of the report. Our experts conducted research on the competition in the passenger transport on primary lines, including such parametres as the number of lines where competition exists, the parametres of connections in individual countries as well as the kind of operated rolling stock - he adds. As research tools a survey questionnaire as well as a comparative analysis of the passenger transport sector in participating countries were used. The results of the research have been included in Chapter 9 of the following documents: Eighth Annual Market Monitoring Working Document and Eighth Annual Market Monitoring Report.
IRG-Rail is a group of independent railway market regulators from 31 European countries. Since 2013 IRG-Rail has published its yearly reports regarding the railway markets in Europe. These reports have been prepared by the IRG-Rail working group on market monitoring.